Lately I have become increasingly frustrated with the clothes in my closet. For the past 6 months I have been on a wild goose chase trying to find clothes that express my personal style as well as fit me. As a plus size girl I’m used to this chase but as I have become more familiar with the plus size blogging community I thought I would find some satisfaction within some of the newer plus size brands, unfortunately I haven’t found much solace.
As all of us are, I’m constantly subjected to “regular size” clothes especially while shopping with my sister who is a stylist. This constant reminder of what is available to everyone else along with the fact that I am a fashion designer is what makes me unwilling to compromise on plus size apparel that is just not as good as “regular size.” These feelings of dissapointment and anger are what has led me to create a new section of this blog called CLOSET CONTROL where I will give insight on how to reconstruct or make clothes from the ground up. I hope to enable others to be to create their own fashion instead of relying on a fat phobic fashion industry!
Every 1 to 2 weeks I will feature a new garment with detailed instructions on how I created it and then I’ll do a separate post with photos wearing the garment! I have also added a glossary because I use a lot of technical fashion/sewing & pattern making terms. When you see an asterix next to a word that means in can be found on my glossary page here https://fatgirlinfashionschool.wordpress.com/glossary/
For the break out post of CLOSET CONTROL I have reconstructed a floral dress I found thrifting! I usually don’t go for *empire waistline dresses with full skirts but I saw potential. My goal for this dress was to bring it into the year 2012! Here’s what I did.
- I changed the *hem into *high/low or what I have recently heard been called a “dip” hem
- created a belt out of the hem I cut off
- added lime green *bias binding to the arm holes, neckline, and hem.
I was also going to add a cut-out in the back but since the dress is a little bit snug on me in this area I decided it was best to leave it out.
- Sewing Machine
- Bias Binding (I used 3 packs of 4YDS)
- Thread matching Bias Binding1. Put the dress on & pin the front hem up to where you want it.2. Take the dress off & measure the hem pinned up to make sure it is uniform.3. Continue pinning but when you get to the side seam pin less of the hem to begin to graduate the back of the hem down.4. Cut the hem along where you pinned.Now it’s time to SEW!1. Match the wrong side of your garment to the right side of the bias binding. Sew with 1/4 *seam allowance as seen in figure 1a.2. Turn to the right side of your garment & press the 1/4 seam allowance away from the garment3. Fold the bias binding to cover the 1/4 seam allowance & *edge stitch as seen in figure 1b.4. Continue sewing the bias binding on the arm holes & neckline.Time for the Belt!
1. From the scraps left over cut off the original hem.2. Match cut edges with the right sides of the fabric touching. Sew with 1/4 seam allowance as seen in Figure 2a. But leave a 2″ opening somewhere along the seam!3. Now reach in the 2″ opening and turn your belt right side out.4. Press belt flat & add bias binding all around the belt.
Now your done! This process only took me about 1.5 hours and was totally worth it.
Please give me feedback! I would love to hear what you think!